In early November, some fellow instructors and I met and talked about how we could improve this course, and somehow, I ended up being the one chosen to make the changes. This was a huge endeavor (and a huge honor), but since I was planning on making the changes any way so that the course would be easier for me to teach, I figured I might as well do it for everyone else. Just for the record, here are the changes that I made (this was in the e-mail I typed out to them so I realize that some of this may not make sense to you :)):
· Main Page:
- I’ve added one of my colleagues’ “course tour” and “review of the syllabus” presentations to the main page rather than Module 1 so that they are easier to find
- I’ve added a “Course Overview” that describes how each of the modules are laid out
- I’ve added a Resource Folder on the main page that we can add useful resources for our students. Right now there are some resources from the syllabus (OWL at Purdue and Netiquette) as well as some other APA style, online learning, and time management.
- As mentioned above, I’ve broken the Modules into sections for easier readability
- I’ve added some more detailed instructions for some of the assignments for clarity. Another colleague sent me some extended directions for the Virtual Tour (one of our assignments).
- I’ve made sure that all of the Titles, Overviews, Objectives, etc all match up to the material in each module.
- I’ve combined two chapters (the chapters on Educational Software: Administrative and Academic) and added another (Chapter 10 – Using the Web for Teaching and Learning). Because I combined those two chapters, the number of modules stayed the same.
- I’ve added some resources that will hopefully help students complete their assignments like mini lectures pdf help files, etc.
- I have gone through and made sure the assignments matched the objectives for each module (One of the reasons why I combined the two chapters). The assignments are pretty much the same, I just flipped some of them around to match up better with the module
- I’ve made the assignment drop box directions match the ones in the module. Before there was some inconsistency between the two.
- I’ve added grading forms for each assignment. You don’t have to use these if you don’t want to…it just made it easier for me to grade the assignments.
- For the final assignment, I’ve created two options. Since one of my colleagues teaches online, she has her students present in Wimba Live Classroom whereas I like to have my students present in class. I created a page for each so that each instructor could choose.
- I’ve gone in and made sure all of the quizzes match the chapters/modules.
- I’ve made them all 50 points (25 questions at 2 points apiece) just to make it easier to remember.
- As in the module, I’ve combined the quizzes for chapters 7&8
- Each quiz has a “Practice Test” that students can take
- This semester, I gave my students a cumulative “optional final quiz” that they could take for bonus points (because I didn’t let them make-up quizzes, and I counted off points for assignments being late), that was 100 questions worth 100 points. I just combined all of the quiz questions from previous quizzes to create the item bank and the students liked having the opportunity to take this (whether or not they took advantage of it).
I was also asked to update our department’s bulletin board. I’m still working on it some, so I will share pics as soon as I finish.
Needless to say, I am thankful I wrote some of my “changes” on this blog…it made it much easier to make changes in the course! :)
Maegan
P.S. I was asked to teach the next class (CAT 250) this summer so next semester might be my last in 200! I’m ready to make the best of it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment